- Check your face and joints
- Carry out an oral cancer screening
- Check that your teeth and gums are healthy and identify any signs of decay or gum disease
- Check any existing fillings
- If necessary take x-rays to assess the teeth and gums
- Check any concerns that you, the patient, may have
Dental plaque is a sticky coloured film that constantly forms over your teeth. It causes:
- Gingivitis – it is the mildest form of gum disease. The gums are red, swollen or bleed easily.
- Gum disease.
Untreated gingivitis can advance to Periodontitis (gum disease) and can eventually lead to tooth loss and other health problems such as heart disease and strokes.
Our hygienist Dara will give you the tools, techniques, and skills to remove the plaque off every surface of every tooth everyday which will keep your gums and teeth healthy.
When the bacteria in plaque come in contact with sugar in the mouth they produce acid that attack the teeth for half an hour or more. Repeated attack cause the tooth enamel to breakdown and decay.